1) The Science Behind a Tropical Storm
Use the information above and pages 186 and 187 in your text book to answer the questions below.
a) What terms are used for intense tropical storms in:
i) the Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal?
ii) the South China Sea?
iii) the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea?
b) What does the speed of the wind have to be before the names you have given in answer to question (a) are used?
c) Create a labelled diagram that explains the formation and structure of a tropical storm.
d) Describe the changes as an intense tropical storm passes, in terms of :
ii) wind speed
iii) wind direction
2) Hurricane Irma: Overview
3) Was there any warning?
|People move household items to safety in Caibarien, CubaPhotograph: Adalberto Roque/AFP/Getty Images|
Hurricane Irma is expected to make landfall in South Florida at the weekend and many residents have already chosen to evacuate.
|Northbound lanes of I-95 near the Georgia-South Carolina border are busy as people attempt to evacuate at-risk areas.|
4) What impact did the storm have?
a) The immedeiate impact:
Hurricane Irma has caused catastrophic damage in several Caribbean islands, killing at least 27 people and leaving thousands homeless.
b) The Cost of the Hurricane and the Long Term Impact
Upwards of 70% of South Florida’s orange crops were destroyed when Hurricane Irma tore through the region, and experts say the repercussions will be felt far beyond the Sunshine State—namely, in the form of skyrocketing orange juice prices all over North America.
But it could have been much worse.
Task 2: Case Study Note Taking
When researching this case study you should make notes under the following headings:
- When did the hurricane happen?
- What areas were affected by the hurricane?
- How do hurricanes form?
- What preparation/warning was there?
- What was the immediate impact? (During and in the hours after the storm)
- What was the medium term impact?(Days/weeks later)
- What was the long term impact?(Weeks/Months later)
- What has been done to reduce the impact of further Hurricanes?
Remember to use place specific information wherever possible. Just saying that the Hurricane happened in Flordia is not enough. Which areas where the worse affected?
Here is a note taking frame to help you structure your notes.
Task 3: Exam Questions:
- Name an area which you have studied where tropical storms occur. Describe the problems which they cause for people living in your chosen area.( 7)
- For a named area, explain the causes of tropical storm which you have studied and describe its impacts on people living there.